The name High Level originated from the height of the land that separates the Peace and the Hay Rivers. The original location was approximately 3.5 miles north of the present spot and along the old Fort Vermilion/Meander River freighting trail, serving as a stopping place, not a town.
The original High Level Sports Grounds were at this location and the old trail was still visible there in the mid 1960s. The High Level Golf & Country Club currently occupies this approximate location. For many years, High Level was known as Tloc Moi (Hay Meadow). The first fur traders arrived in this area in 1786, but it was not until 1947 that High Level was settled, with development of road access to Fort Vermilion being the primary factor in determining the town’s present location. High Level’s first power plant was established in 1957, and a year later the first post office was built. The oil fields were discovered in the 1960s, and a railway was run to the area in 1963.