From Fish Camp to Modern Town
In 1892, Chief Shatla of the Slavey, decided to make the seasonal fish camp on the north east bank of Hay River a permanent location for his people. In 1893, the Anglican Mission was established. Hay River remained a trading post and mission station until the discovery of pitch blende in the 1930’s close to Great Bear Lake and gold in the Yellowknife area. A road, which could be used year round, was required to access these resources.
For more information about Hay River